This all started last week, Marcel's dog back home is not doing very well, by this I mean she has cancer and is probably not gonna make it much longer. So that has a lot of other stuff behind it, but she is a great dog and only 7 years old so it is really sad.
Then this Saturday my mom calls to tell me that my brother John hit Abby, my sister in the mouth with a baseball bat. She wasn't paying attention and walked behind him while he was swinging. The dentist came in from out of town to work on her Saturday at 6:00 PM. She lost half of her front tooth and small pieces of 3 bottom teeth. We really don't know everything yet, but her teeth were pushed back and they are now loose permanent teeth, so we have to wait for X-rays to determine what all needs to be done. Not to mention her lip is huge and had to get one stitch right in the middle. She is having trouble eating, but she is really being a trooper. My brother feels really bad, but he is being the nice little brother and letting Abby watch her TV choices and helping her out....we will see how long that lasts. I will keep you updated, for now she is just really swollen and on a mushy diet.
OKAY now for the worst. I had clinical this morning and I went in really nervous for whatever reason. My patient was pretty tough, I knew I would be giving an insulin injection, but no big deal I have given 1 other shot before....but for whatever reason I was anxious.
The morning started off well at 6:45, my patient was just really week and it took a while to get him up and dressed. She around 8:15 he was in the dining room and time to give his insulin. I draw it up and I am soooooo nervous. My instructor comes with me and tells me to pinch the back of his arm and go. His skin was really loose because he was so skinny, I went in at an angle I guess and went through his skin into MY finger. AHHHHH, this is horrible, needle sticks are a huge deal. So my teacher calms me down and we determine I need to go get blood work. I know realize this guy has Hepatitis C, the one that you CAN'T be vaccinated for. OOO MMMM GGGG, can I just tell you panic has set in. So I leave the hospital and go to UTHS urgent care.
Did I mention I am freaking out. On the way to the car from the hospital I call mom. I had been fine in the hospital, my teacher was reassuring me I would be fine, the chances that I contracted Hepatitis from that injection is slim, yatta yatta yatta. So as I was saying I am on the phone with mom and I start bawling, to the point I can't talk. I tell her what happened and she says "O Heather," I am so upset. So I head to the UTHS and they see me right away. They ask me all these questions, while they were taking my blood pressure the nurse is talking to me and I start crying again when I tell her about the patient. So we figure it all out the patient has to be tested for all these things as do I. At this point I don't know the patient's HIV status.....you thought I was freaked out before and now this.
Marcel love comes to the clinic and is waiting for me. I love him. He tells me it is all gonna be okay and we will figure it out. Mind you this is at 12:30 almost 4 hours from when this all happened. So two hours after that I finally get a call from the hospital the patient is NOT HIV positive. WOO HOO some good news.
He is positive for Hepatitis C which we already knew, but there is nothing they can do for me know. I just have to wait. It takes a while for your body to develop Hepatitis C i
So sorry to ramble but my arm has a little band-aid from where they took blood. My finger hurts like hell where I pricked it, my eyes are puffy from crying and I am worried out of my mind. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers. Everything is going to be fine, but the unknown is what sucks. The chances anything was transfered from him to me is SLIM, but there is still a chance and that chance is enough to freak me out! Marcel's family sent me flowers...telling me all will be fine!
Okay, I will stop now. Love and I will keep you posted.....good news, I got an A in my clinical class, finger stick and all!
5 comments:
omg heather, i am so sorry. i can't even imagine the fright you are going through, but i'm praying for you and hope all goes well. try to hang in there the next few weeks until you find things out, i'm sure God is looking over you sweetie. i love you, and please keep us updated. xoxo
heather, i freaked out too when i read this!! that is horribly scary. im so sorry, i cant believe that happened. but, i have faith that everything will turn out ok. im sure you're not the first nursing student to make that same mistake, and you wont be the last. i will definitely be praying for you, and i have no doubt God is protecting you. love and miss you, girl!!
p.s. congrats on the A!! thats awesome!
i love you more than words and thinking of how scared you were/are makes my heart hurt! when we're done with tests we'll snuggle..or before then, this deserves a snuggle.
wow.
that is intense.
i'm SURE everything will be ok, i'll be praying for you.
hopefully i'll get to see you this week or something, love/miss :)
oh my goodness! heather! i am so sorry this has happened! i am so glad you have such agreat ppl around you like Marcel to take care of you when we arent there!! He lovs you, he loves you! I will be praying for you and I know that everything is going to be okay. You are a strong girl and I know you will be fine! let us know how things go these enxt couple of weeks. dont you worry, Gods got your back!
Love!
Post a Comment