Thursday, April 3, 2008

Courtney

So I have been thinking a lot lately on whether to write this post or not, but I have decided it is important to me and I think Courtney will be alright with it. I say this because she reads my blog too. So here goes.

Last Saturday night my friend Courtney (the one getting married back home in May) sent me a text message around 830 or so and it states " I wanted to let you know my mom was just diagnosed with cancer and it is bad." Can I just tell you panic set in. Her mom is so young 45 and means the world to this girl. So eventually later that night she calls me after leaving the hospital and fills me in. The doctor in the ER diagnoses her mom with Stage 4 lung cancer that has moved into her liver. I don't even know what to say to her. I can't even imagine.

Today is Thursday and her mom has met with an oncologist and she now knows the doctor in the ER jumped to conclusions and they say they aren't sure what stage it is because she had so much fluid on her lungs. They have now biopsied her liver and taken another CAT scan after draining the fluid on her lungs and they did a bone scan to see if it has moved into her bones. They are getting the prognosis today. Hopefully it will be better than the one they got on Saturday.

The reason I am writing this is because she has inspired me. She says she isn't be strong, but I strongly disagree. She is the oldest, her sister is 18 in her senior year of high school. Courtney is currently taking 18hours at UNT. She has a part time job. And she is getting married in less than 6 weeks. Not only is she keeping up with school, she is keeping up with her sister, visiting her mom daily and every time I talk with her she seems so positive. She is taking this unimaginable time and looking forward and doing what she can.

I am asking you to keep her and her family in your prayers. I am trying to stay strong for her. It is really hard sometimes because I can feel how scared she is. She is my best friend from home and I love her to death. I CAN'T believe this is happening to her. I get teared up just writing about it now. Like she says this shouldn't be happening to us. We are good people. I think about her daily and I pray that each day when she calls I can say something that makes her know that I am here for her.

Courtney is so great, beautiful and positive all the time and I wanted to share with all of you this news so that you too can hope and pray for her. She is a strong lady and she is passing on to everyone to not take anything for granted and to take each day and make it the best because she now understands, as do I that you never know when something like this could happen. This picture is what I think about when I think of Courtney. FUN and HAPPY!

I love all of you girls. And Courtney if you read this I love you too and I am always here for you.

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.........Emily Dickinson

5 comments:

Whitney said...

aww im soo sorry to hear about that. i will definitely be keeping her and her family in my prayers. i could never imagine what going through that would be like, especially when she has so much on her plate already. this was a very nice post, heather, and im sure that courtney really appreciates it and knows that youre there for her.

ill be praying for you, too. love and miss you

Ivy said...

you are such agreat friend heather. im sure courtney knows she can count on you. i will be praying for her and her family.

ps i love that emily dickinson poem... ive read it before and it gets me everytime.

miss you.

L-Kat said...

hearing this like this makes me so sad, but your post was so supportive. i'm so glad that you girls are able to find the amazing amid the devastating. ivy's right, you are such a great friend. sometimes all you can do is be there, and you're doing more than that. love/miss.

April said...

you're always there for the people that need you. i love that about you :) i'm so glad she has you and jamison.

Shivonne said...

ahhh heather. that's terrible. courtney seems like an amazing person though, and she's lucky to have you for support...you're kind of an amazing person. i just wanted to thank you for sharing with us, and know that we're keeping both courtney and you in our prayers. love you girlie!
p.s. i heart your new blog look. how cute are you?